Friday, July 17, 2009

Citroen 2CV Dune Buggy Body




I have a prototype Citroen 2CV street-legal mini dune buggy body built in the 1970/1971 time frame by Centaur engineering. The vehicle was called the Bugito and to the best of my knowledge this is the only one and no others were built. I have documents indicating that there was talk of a joint venture with Citroen. The chassis was to be built in Spain and imported to United States for final assembly and distribution.


I found the Bugito dune buggy body on an internet search eight years ago and purchased it from an Air Force Lieutenant stationed at Selfridge Air Force Base. The Lieutenant stated that he purchased the dune buggy body from the owner of a storage company in Mt. Clemens, Michigan for owed back rent. I purchased the body from him based on my knowledge of its history. I have a three ring binder of information regarding the Bugito and other vehicle programs that Centaur/Quatro engineering was working on, obtained from the late Duane Raymond, a Centaur engineer and co-owner.

I had plans to restore the Bugito to its original design using Citroen powertrain components. I have been busy at work, school and home projects. I cannot believe eight years has passed by! It would be nice to find someone who can complete the Bugito to its original design. I’m hoping there is a Citroen collector that may have an interest in restoring it. I will be listing it for auction in the near future.




1 comment:

  1. I own that frame and the dune buggy in the center of that collage picture that we are restoring, and we are looking for documentation on the dune buggy project. Do you still have that documentation and three ring binder? If so we are very interested and would like to contact you about it. You can get ahold of me at sorensonjim@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete